Sunday, March 20, 2011

Healthy Homemade

Does anyone else here save glass jars?  That I do should be no surprise to anyone - I'm such a packrat.  Our recycling plant takes glass, but I found out when working with them through our recycling program at my job that they do not recycle glass themselves - 'must ship it off somewhere.   Glass is heavy and breakable, but it is also toxin free, impermeable to gases, liquids and odors, and is perhaps the most recyclable material, since it can be melted and remade indefinitely without degrading.

Anyway, I save small jars - especially those with interesting shapes - to store dried herbs.   Larger ones hold dried things like veggies and fruit from my dehydrator, beans and pasta.   My next project for small jars is this:

Homemade Deodorant

(Makes one small canning jar - just over 1/2 cup)

1/4 C. baking soda
1/4 C. cornstarch or arrowroot
5 - 6 T. coconut oil
Tea Tree Oil (optional)

I stole got this from the  Homestead Revival  blog, who in turn got it from someone else.  The ingredients are easy to obtain, and she had many testimonials from women who have been using it for a long time and like it. (note this is a deodorant, not anti-perspirant)

I like to make things when I can, rather than buy them. In this case, I want to use an alternative to the aluminum-based products from the store, and of course, save money.

- I posted earlier about my home-made laundry detergent that I have used for about 2 years now and like.  I keep a small amount of store-bought product on hand to use if something is very delicate or needs stain treatment.  I have also learned to use my Dawn diswashing detergent for greasy food spots as a pre-treat on clothes.  Not home-made, but it eliminates having to buy a second product to pre-treat.

 - I use white vinegar  - diluted 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water as a fabric softener - and see absolutely no reason to ever go back to the commercial softener.  It works great, even on towels, and I like the fact that it removes any soap residue from the clothes.

 - Here is a homemade glass cleaner I bought the stuff to try: 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup ammonia
2 cups rubbing alcohol
1 tsp of blue Dawn dishwashing liquid
3/4 gallon of water

There are tons of  'recipes' for homemade household cleaners and other things on the internet. Some better than others, but many worth a try!   

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try the deodorant! I hate using the store bought kind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete