Sunday, March 21, 2010

Something's coming, something good.....

But I'll say no more just yet.  Suffice it to say I am spending this weekend assembling cages......

Most of my seeds have started, but because the only place I have for them isn't the best for direct sun, they are are already very leggy.  That's OK for tomatoes, because you can bury the stem when you transplant.  I'm not sure about the rest.   I am going to try to grow a little of a lot of things.  I have Japanese-style eggplant, patty pan squash, beets (I hate beets, but they say when they are pulled up as babies and roasted, they are completely different), bush beans, a few different tomatoes, potatoes (in buckets) and as usual, lots of herbs.   I yanked out clumps of lambs ear yesterday to make room for them.  I left a few small clumps, and it spreads so fast, there is no danger of not having any left.  I have not been able to find sugar snap pea 'seeds,' but I would like to grow some of those too.

There were lots of signs of life in the garden yesterday.  Crocus and early daffodils up, Dutch Iris and daylilies sprouting, the few roses I have left are budding, along with Alpine strawberries and artemesia putting forth new growth.  (My garden is both ornamental and food crops)  As beautiful and warm as it was yesterday, it is hard to resist the temptation to start putting things in the ground, BUT....... we are far away from our last frost date, so only cold-loving plants need apply at this point.

I bought a blueberry plant ("Duke" variety) which is supposed to be able to be grown in containers, so I am going to give it a shot.   I bought a bunch of 5-gallon buckets at Lowe's - less expensive and sturdier than plastic pots - and will be growing some things in those.     I don't think I am the only one more interested in growing some of my own food this season. At Lowe's, they had LOTS of food plants for sale - potatoes, asparagus, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and many more.  Much more than I have seen in the past.  It's a good trend.

2 comments:

  1. You've been on my mind lately, as I haven't heard from you on my blog or yours. Glad to hear you've been playing (or at least planning) in the dirt, and can't wait to hear about your surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fair keeping us in suspense! LOL

    ReplyDelete